September 4, 2014: The Highwood Downtown Projects Guidebook was approved by City Council at its September 2nd meeting, formally being adopted as an addendum to the Official Comprehensive Plan of the City of Highwood. The final approved document is available as a downloadable PDF and a web-based document.
July 23, 2014: The draft Highwood Downtown Projects Guidebook is available to download for review. Or, if you prefer to read the document online, please click here. We welcome your feedback on the document!
- Public Open House & Public Hearing: Join us on August 13th at 5:00 pm at City Hall for a Public Open House and Public Hearing to review and provide comment on the Highwood Downtown Projects Guidebook.
March 31, 2014: Mark your calendars for the upcoming Public Open House on April 22nd!
- Public Open House: Join us on April 22nd at 6:00 pm at the Oak Terrace Elementary School Multipurpose Room for a Public Open House. Oak Terrace Elementary School is located at 240 Prairie Avenue in Highwood, IL.
November 19, 2013: Thank you to those residents who attended the two community workshops on November 12th and 18th. The draft Downtown Assessment Report is available to download for review. We welcome your feedback on the report or general thoughts on Downtown Highwood!
November 5, 2013: Take part in a series of interactive community workshops on November 12th and 18th to help design for Downtown Highwood. See below for descriptions of each workshop. We hope to see you there!
- Community Workshop #1: Join us on November 12th at 6:00 pm at City Hall for the first of two workshops. The focus of the first workshop will be a hands-on 3D mapping exercise that will enable community members to visualize their ideas for Downtown Highwood using an aerial base map and building blocks that represent various types of development. Have your voice heard and see the different ideas your friends and neighbors come up with. Come learn more about the downtown planning process and help shape development principles for Downtown Highwood with this fun, interactive activity.
- Community Workshop #2: Come back on November 18th at 6:00 pm at City Hall for the second of the two workshops. The focus of the second workshop will be to learn how residents envision the future of Downtown, and will have an opportunity to participate in two interactive exercises aimed at determining the priorities for Downtown, and identifying the desired character of new development through an image preference survey. The second workshop will create a dynamic setting to continue transforming the community’s ideas into design and development guidelines for Downtown Highwood.
August 21, 2013: Have summer photos of Downtown Highwood from your camera, mobile phone, or iPad? Please share them on the Pinterest Image Board or the Facebook Project Page. Whether they are photos of things you like or dislike about Downtown Highwood, please share. Even share photos of favorite places that you visited on your summer vacation. Have fun!
August 21, 2013: The Community Survey is still open for you to share your ideas and thoughts on Downtown Highwood. We look forward to your feedback!
August 5, 2013: The deadline to take the Community Survey has been extended for a few more weeks. We look forward to receiving your ideas and feedback on Downtown Highwood!
July 8, 2013: Provide your ideas and feedback on Downtown Highwood by taking the Community Survey. Your responses will help shape concepts and recommendations for the future of Downtown Highwood. The survey will remain open until 12:00 noon on Monday, August 5th. We look forward to your responses!
July 8, 2013: Read about the start of the project on the following online news outlets: “City of Highwood Announces Transit-Oriented Development (TOD) Plan to Improve Transportation and Transit Systems”
- Daily Herald
- Pioneer Press (Sun-Times)
- Chicago Tribune
- Highland Park Patch
- American Towns
- Eventful (Chicago)
- Zvents (Highwood)
June 25, 2013: The initial meeting with the project’s Steering Committee was held on June 18th, including a walking tour of the study area. Visit the Documents & Resources Page to view the meeting agenda and summary of the SWOT Exercise (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats) conducted with the Steering Committee.
June 18, 2013: Do you have a visual idea of how you envision the character of Downtown Highwood? Then visit the Pinterest Image Board to pin images of design characteristics that you would like to see in Downtown Highwood. Pin any images you like, whether they are of other downtowns, a place you visited while on vacation, or a place you read about online. Have photos of certain elements that currently exist in Downtown Highwood? Upload and pin those images, too. Be creative and share your ideas!
June 17, 2013: The project kicks off on June 18th with the initial meeting with the project’s Steering Committee and a walking tour of the study area. Want to get involved at the start? Consider visiting the Interactive Comment Map to provide your input, or use the feedback form below to share your ideas regarding Downtown Highwood.
May 31, 2013: Welcome to the Highwood Transit Oriented Development Plan project website!
The TOD study area includes a 1/2 mile radius around the Highwood Metra Station, which is located on the Union Pacific North Railroad Line at the intersection of North Avenue and Green Bay Road. The City is also serviced by one PACE Bus line, Route #472 that provides service between Highland Park and the City of Highwood. Click the image below to enlarge!
Let’s start the conversation! Please visit our Interactive Comment Map or use the feedback form below to share your ideas for Downtown Highwood.